Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's official...

... life with Xochitl is ADORABLE!

Let me preface this by stating that, after having worked with dogs for so long, it takes a lot to impress me. I mean, I have seen/met/worked with so many dogs that a dog had better possess a little something-something that sets it apart from the pack (no pun intended). I am not one of those people that walks into a shelter and wants to take very dog home. Nope, not me. I have a harsh, critical eye when it comes to the dogs. Just ask Aaron, who was amazed at my puppy critiquing skills a couple weeks back as we cruised petfinder.com.

"Ugly, bad dog, biter, ugly. That's a cute one," I'd call out as we quickly scanned each page.

"How can you tell from just that tiny thumbnail?" he'd amaze.

"Easy, when you see as many dogs as I do you can just tell which dog is a trouble maker, and which one is an ass-biter, and what it's going to look like when it's full grown," I told him, matter-of-factly.

I also have to admit that I'm not a puppy fan. They take up way too much time, energy, and patience and all you get in return is a something that constantly demands food and produces nasty smelling stuff from the other end. Over the years I've dealt with my share of puppies and, except for a handful, I would have to say that they're more trouble than they're worth.

All that said, I have to say that Xochitl is the cutest thing ever. Her little personality is adorable, she's hilarious when she waddles across the floor toward you or wants to kill a stuffie three times her size, and her constant need for warmth is endearing as she constantly wants to cuddle.

It's this need for warmth that is bonding her and Paco, as they both crave comfort. While their friendship in the "awake hours" is still developing (they had their first real play session yesterday, but mostly their interaction consists of them both playing with toys near each other), they don't hesitate to take any opportunity to cuddle. Rather, Xochitl will hunt down Paco and cuddle on him, Paco just tolerates it. But this is the beginning of something beautiful, I can tell.

And now the pics...

Sharing the sun spot (note Xochitl's new Paco Collar)

sharing the sun



For scale

for scale



RWAAAR!

rwaaar!



Just for fun we've also taken to writing Xochitl's name phonetically on her ear band-aids... one side reads "SO" and the other reads "CHEE".

No comments: